"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Action Comics # 10 Review




Maxim Zarov, or Nimrod, the greatest hunter on Earth is after Superman and he has worked out he is linked to Clark Kent. He goes to the Kent farm based on sightings of Superman in the Midwest, only to find out the farm was sold and Clark Kent had moved to the city. We cut to Clark who is part of the Daily Star's Crime Desk, and he is tracking down a child murderer.



Superman (who is still wearing those hot tees btw) finds him and he is pissed. I totally can empathize with Clark here and understand the rage and emotion he feels. It is a case he followed and solved and in real life we all feel child murderers should swing from the gallows. Clark manages to control his rage and allows the justice system to take its course. He also takes the two hamsters owned by the creep.


We have a really good encounter with the League. At least the ones Morrison allowed to talk. Poor Cyborg and Aquaman just stood around but it was interesting to see Superman showing his idealistic nature. Not pacifist. Not reactionary. But a guy who wants to genuinely help the world with a passion. Only he is as we all are when we are young. He is not thinking it through and believes he can march into other countries and fix things. He even comments about Bruce, Arthur and Diana's backgrounds. Bruce stands his ground and challenges Clark. It is funny Clark makes judgements about Bruce being a billionaire while he is blessed with many abilities while Bruce does what he does as a human. Superman has a lot to learn.

I do hope Morrison will expand on this and not just want to show Clark has a bleeding heart while the others are not as conscientious. I hope we see Clark realize with power comes restraint because they have to follow international law as well. It was nice to see Diana stand supportive of Clark. The only thing I think let this great scene down was Rags Morales' art. I love Rags raw style but the League looked wooden and Superman looked way too young and soft. He also looked as if he was about to cry when Batman almost gave his identity away. This Clark is too defiant to have that kind of submissive/apologetic expression. But even with his unrealistic goals, it was great to see him walk out on them and Bruce saying they will have to go after him on day.

Lois, Clark and Jimmy are showing hanging out. Lois has her usual Superman obsession, collecting every article she could find on him and some of the sightings were ten years before Superman's official appearance. Seems there might be a second Kryptonian out there. We get a glimpse of him but it he might have some telepathic/hypnotic powers.

Lois, Clark and Jimmy make their way to the Daily Planet. They encounter a suicide bomber outside the Daily Star and it turns out to be a man, Angus Grundig, Clark's reporting had brought down. It is not clear but Morrison seems to be hinting that Lois knows Clark is Superman by having her hinting it at Clark. I am wondering why is Clark so clueless not to realize/work this out this? Be nice to think he was one step ahead of them all. Oh Super brain...where art thou? I hope Grant does not ignore you the way DC did for the last decade.. Anyway Grundig detonates the bomb.



Nimrod finds himself at Clark's apartment to find out from the landlady that Clark Kent is dead. Understandably the great hunter is really cheesed off. Because he wanted to kill Superman. He gets his chance to try when Superman appears and ends up with his guns twisted and his face burnt. He is sent to the hospital and guess who shows up? The strange, creepy little man who  now promises to make him part of the Anti-Superman army.

Clark has to maintain that he is dead, so now we are left to wonder what new secret identity he will assume and more importantly how? Maybe he'll grow a beard...who knows.



The back-up was basically the eulogy for Clark Kent. Everyone likes and misses him a lot and found him inspirational, that simple but good hearted boy from Kansas.

I enjoyed this issue. It packed a heck of a lot of stuff in these limited pages and for that it gets full marks. But the art was a little bit of a let down to really make it perfect. Rags was excellent in some parts and weak in others.

I give this 4 out of 5 stars.

Best Panel: I wanted to put up Clark and Diana in the shared panel but the art was too stiff. So I choose the one of Superman twisting a gun. Now that's what I'm talking about.


.

2 comments:

  1. Kal: Diana's boobies are pressed against my back. Hee. Hee.

    Kal: Note to self: Flip over the Batmobile as response to sour puss Batman revealing my identity as a reporter.

    Kal: Another note to self: Get restraining order from Lois Lane. Crazy woman has been stalking me for years.

    Kal: I look hot tearing a gun apart.

    ReplyDelete