"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Superman #12 Review



The last issue of Superman before the third creative team take over. It was a light issue. Nothing stellar. Superman takes on the Predator.


For a change Superman is proactive and not whiny and (shocker) thinks! Shame it is not a compelling villain. Clark decides after this foray, it was time to start having some fun and enjoying life. He takes up Lucy Lane's offer to go bungee jumping.


It is sad to say this whole year has been mediocre. Twelve issues have gone past and I really think the only thing I like is the relationship between him and Jimmy, the set up with Morgan Edge and the modern feel of the whole Daily Planet. Clark, himself, I like as having a spine and strong opinions and I hope we see a proactive,modern guy from Scott Lobdell's pen who does not spend his days pining for Lois. While it is fine for Clark to have a crush on the older and more successful Lois when he first comes to Metropolis, it is natural for the guy to move on as he grows older and finds his feet. Lois is clearly happy in her relationship with Jonathan Carroll and was fine enough to set Clark up with her younger sister. While it's nice to see Clark having fun with Lucy, I don't quite see anything that she can bring so new or exciting. The villains have all been terrible. That is what needs to be worked on. A hero is as good as his rogues gallery.

I give this a 3 out of 5 stars because we have Clark actually just getting on with it.

Best Panel. I just like the art and perspective of this page.




No comments:

Post a Comment