"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Superman/Wonder Woman #4 Review






This issue is divided into two. The first explores Clark and Diana's reaction to the world knowing they are in a relationship and Clark dealing with Zod.

Again Soule shows the contrast between Clark and Diana. Clark is still not ready to deal with the invasion to their privacy while Diana is more pragmatic.



There is a great explanation why Clark needs to be Clark Kent and why he likes being a writer. Contrasting with that is Diana pov of just embracing who she is. She sees no reason to hide from the truth or hide from others. I think this is a great scene because when Diana asks herself in the narration, who was right, him or her? It shows that both are not wrong. It's just who they are right now and that their is room for growth and compromise. After all Clark can't hide behind glasses forever and Diana can't understand/empathize with  human weakness/insecurities unless she really tries to walk in our shoes a little. There is also some suggestion in this scene that they might have been intimate. I'd have preferred something more concrete. Simply allowing Clark to be shirtless would have done the trick. As it is, it felt one sided with Diana alone putting on, while Clark is dressed. Maybe they just hung out in Diana's apartment. If they are sleeping together, for goodness sakes they are young, healthy adults. No need to be coy about it.



Zod has gotten out of the containment cell Clark put him in and attempts unsuccessfully to fiddle with the security systems at the Fortress. How he's out we are not too sure, but he does not allow Clark to know he can come and go from the cell. Clark goes to check on Zod and they talk . Zod is really quite sly, trying to milk info from Clark.  In the end he fools Clark intro bringing the Phantom Zone lens and then he stuns Clark by coming out of his cell. Turns out it is not a cell but a shipment container and only needed a Kryptonian password to activate it. A result of Clark knowing little about his own heritage. Zod attacks by letting out all the exotic creatures out of their cells to attack Clark. He uses the lens to break Faora out of the Phantom Zone.



The second half shows world reaction to their relationship and it's pretty hilarious. From Hal Jordan's to Batman's to Lex Luthor. Clark also goes check out Cat to find more about how she got this story etc. We meet Cat's boyfriend. Aaron Lord. Any relationship to Max Lord? Cat's pretty happy obviously and tries to get Clark to not look at a gifted horse in the mouth. Diana, meanwhile, works off some stress with Hessia and decides she need s break. She decides to pay a visit to Themyscira.




This issue moves the story along but it does feel like too short a read because of the divide in the stories. But it has humor and action and beautiful art. One thing this comic is doing is fleshing out Diana as a young woman in a holistic way. In her own title she lacks sparkle and here we are seeing that. The moment where she talks to the children is a very superhero like moment we don't really get to see in her own book.

I give this 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment