"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Action Comics # 1 Review



Action Superman is brash,cocky, got a mischievous twinkle in his eye and I enjoyed the ride as much as most people.We meet a young man with abilities he seems to have embraced and his passion and idealism has lit a real fire within him to do right. Because sometimes the law is an ass and the poor or the small man does not get justice.

And of course the law can't deal with this. So we see police chasing after him when he tries to do what the law would not do. Clark is a social crusader. He is back to his roots, the Golden Age Superman, who would not sit by and watch bad guys do what they want cause the law can't or won't life a finger. It's a great relief to read after years of a reactive Superman, who tows the line at times, even when towing that line is questionable. He has no Ma or Pa with him to wag their finger and parent him. He's clearly going to learn and grow by getting a lot of knocks. Like we all do. It's refreshing not to see a Superman wringing his hands to be normal or the goody two shoes naive boyscout. The son of Jonathan Kent I always maintained would never be a wimp. He'd be ballsy boy who grew up tough on a farm. Heck, the guy would be a cowboy who would be king.

Lex Luthor and Sam Lane represent the human/government who are not happy about this alien's existence. We also meet Jimmy who is Clark Kent's friend. Jimmy feels less dorky and the dickie bow is gone. Jimmy has grown up too. Thank god. Lois is pushy as usual, and forces her way to get the story because she must be better than her rivals. Nothing changes there. It does nothing for the narrative really in that it's the same old same old. She won't be Lois if she did not get in the middle of trouble, I guess, and it's a way to shove her in the train.

Superman's power levels are lower and he can't fly yet and these abilities we are told will grow in time. So he can bleed. The last panel hits you in the gut. Rags Morales' art is so wild and kinetic. I love how raw and brawny he draws Clark. Get this book. 5 out of 5.


Best Panel:  I was torn between him lifting the business man over his head and the battle with the wrecking ball and the train sequence. In the end I'll go with this one. Says it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment