"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Superman # 1 Review


Superman I found an average read. It just fell far too short for a # 1. It's not that the ideas are bad. In fact, some good ones. We get the new status quo of a young and single Superman and him being more of a crusading journalist, than just some reporter guy who just uses the Daily Planet as his cover. I loved that they gave Clark some passion regarding his job but the writing felt tedious and Superman seems to have gotten boring five years later. I feel,Morrison and Johns seems to be getting the voice but here he sounds too retro or too much like pre-relaunch Superman. He's not got the charisma, enigma, toughness, nor the edge.  The ironic thing? The last pages where Clark meets Lois' new guy was well written but what I got out of it was not what I think DC was hoping. I don't feel one iota of empathy for Clark. What the heck is he pining for? Why should he even be pining? The character has just kicked off in a new relaunch and he's acting like Peter Parker. Ballsy guy from Action with oddles of confidence and passion , smart reporter giving Lois puppy dog eyes in issue #1? Sorry, DC, pity is not the way to get readers to empathize with Clark. I hope this is a sign for Clark to pick himself up and move on but it still felt too out of sync. You took for granted we would root for him and Lois because you had a version of him married to her in the old books? Stop being lazy and a slave to tradition. This is a new book. A new era. Your audience is younger and modern or alternatively, as in lapsed readers, grown-up. Treat it and us as such.

I liked the art. But I would give this book 3 stars only because it was not a bad book but it feels too average for a # 1 book. And unlike say Justice league, I did not really leave it on a high and eager to read more.

Best Panel: Not too keen on anything really.I guess I will go with this splash page.

1 comment:

  1. that's too bad. Just got my books yesterday but won't have a chance to read them until after the weekend. I'll be sure and post my comments on DA and I'll leave some thoughts here :-)

    ReplyDelete