"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Action Comics # 5 Review



We sort of recap the beginning or foundation to the Superman myth in this issue. At the start we see Lara and Jor-El trying to rush to safety with baby Kal-El and Krypto (yes, you heard me) in tow. Unfortunately the ship Jor-El built is a prototype and can only hold one. They try to see if they can escape via the Phantom Zone, the ghostly prison for criminals, but that turned out to be bad idea. Lucky for them they had Krypto to take protect them.




We find out the AI that piloted the rocket ship is called Brainiac. That Kal's name means Starchild. Lara's name means Light of Waxing Moon and Jor-El means Great Star. Little details that all add a richness to the story and we see the love and pain of the Els as they send their child away to have a chance at life while they face their doom.



This is contrasted with Martha and Jonathan Kent who are Midwest farmers and they have not been lucky at trying to start a family. The ship crashes at the side of a lonely road and the Kent's are there to witness it and follow their hearts and take this baby in. The military are very aware of the alien craft crashing but Jonathan craftily fools them by showing them a deformed six legged calf as the "spaceman". It makes perfect sense now why Clark started to chortle with laughter in Action #2 when Lex showed him the remains.




The story then jumps from the past to a time when we see Superman's Fortress of Solitude. It looks like some sort of alien craft with the rocket ship, ( Clark found it in Action #2)  that had taken to protecting itself in a kind of crystalline matrix. It is being invaded by enemies of Superman calling themselves the Anti-Superman Army. We find out a little about kryptonite and what it is. Future armored suit Superman appears with the Legion and he is here to help the younger, t-shirt wearing one.




There is a back up story focusing on Martha and Jonathan, showing them as happy newly weds and then the following years of pain where they struggle to have a child.




This is a good issue though not a whole story. It is vignettes really. So it does jump around a bit and has a filler feel but the actual subject matter is very integral to the mythos. Though we may have read this before, it still feels fresh and love the new tweaked elements that is part of refining the whole legend. Andy Kubert does interiors and does a nice job in the main story.

I give this 4 out of 5 stars.

Best Panel: That one panel in the back-up of an unsuspecting Martha and Jonathan as Kal-El's rocket ship plummets towards them.


4 comments:

  1. I love seeing baby Kal. He's so cute. I think my favorite piece was the epilogue with Jonathan and Martha Kent. It's rare we are treated to their life before Kal's arrival and the struggles they probably went through in getting a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first part was probably the best one to me since I never get tired of Krypton, but the whole issue was nice and didn't left me frustrated or in a 'wtf was that?'-mood (I was afraid that would happen when had learned about the nature of AC#5). Still have all my hopes with this book)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope DC don't rush the new Superman back to the old. Morrison is jumping around a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's kind of a usual trick for him[Morrison] while telling a story, there's nothing to fret yet=)

    ReplyDelete