"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Justice League #4 Review



This book continues to jaunt along at a fast pace with a lot of action and humor. We see poor Vic Stone in Star Labs, and his transformation into Cyborg and yes, it is no picnic. He blames his father for it and flees the scene angry, bewildered and scared.




From the last issue we know Aquaman is making his debut and he does it in fine style. He shows Green Lantern why he should not call him Aquafresh. We see him conduct a parademon-eating shark orchestra and him skewer one in the brain with his trident. Yep, don't mess with the king of the seas who thinks he should lead.




The heroes then have the military attack them. Wonder Woman does her bullets and bracers thing and we see Steve Trevor wanting them to spare her. Liaison, my ass. You have to be stupid not to know he has a personal vested interest in her. Yeah, he wants to get into her wonderpants at some point.




There is a nice moment between Flash and Superman when they take on the military. Flash thinks he's somehow doing the wrong thing by engaging them. But Superman puts it to him that sometimes those in authority are not always right. Yay, Superman is no longer the naive boyscout that tows the line for the sake of it. He thinks for himself now and acts! Thank you,DC! We also see Green Lantern embarrass himself in fine style when he inadvertently touches Wonder Woman's lasso. The team eventually encounters the befuddled Cyborg and then we start to hear that ominous pinging.




Our villain makes his appearance in fine style.


This continues to be a fun book. The banter, while a little cliched at times, is still funny. Johns does over the top and loud and Lee gives us beautiful art. It's the summer blockbuster of the new 52. Munch your popcorn and enjoy it.

4 out of 5 stars.

Best Panel. Superman just stepping back and taking it all in. While the others argue, he has an amused and knowing smile on his face. I'll just imagine he was checking out Diana who was off panel and to his right on that page.


3 comments:

  1. I bet that picture of Darkseid is how he looks sitting on the toilet.

    And yes, I love that best panel, too. Clark is thinking, "Get a load of these people. Ha!"

    The second best panel is Aquaman with the shark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this. little behind in getting my next comics. I love Action, JLA and Aquaman, I like the story going on in WW very much but i do not like the art at all. Really wish they had picked a little better when choosing an artist for such an important character. But the story is good and I guess if I had to pick between the two I would want the story to be good over the art being good. still the whole reason I buy comics is because I want both. Oh well. I'll just stick it out and enjoy the story lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darkseid on the toilet...lol. Imagine the turds. Er, okay let's not.

    ReplyDelete