"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Action Comics #11 Review



Superman is fighting in his t-shirt and jeans in his city. He takes down a Metalek,another alien that has shown up who seems to have the intention of conquest.


Inevitably in the battle property is destroyed and Superman helps rebuild homes in record time. Grant weaves in important things like Superman being accepted by people in need, or even feared by the likes of construction bosses who see him as competition. We also have the question of the value of the homes he builds. While it all seems insignificant against big robots and invasions, these are the human/moral aspects of being Superman that often get shoved aside. Superman no longer has the Clark persona to worry about because he has supposedly "died".


But he has taken on the persona of fire fighter, Johnny Clark. This allows him to be a "loner" while saving lives and going "home" to be Superman. It's weird to me no one looks at Johnny's face and not connect it to Superman. Are people really that oblivious? Does a beanie and no history really make a man that less recognizable?


Superman remains with doubts;whether he made the right decision by giving up on Clark. He asks Batman for help. We also see his naive idealism when Batman tells him to eradicate poverty in Somalia by selling the space station. It's pretty evident that our Superman needs to learn some tough lessons about what being Superman means. Batman is more worldy and experienced in this reboot but the World's Finest dynamic has clearly not been forgotten. Superman also seems to wear the armor and the jeans and t-shirt when the occasion calls for it.


We then cut to Lois and her niece, Suzie, who we learn is being tracked by the Blaker Farm ghost Lois had thought was Superman. Turns out he is a mutant with ESP powers and he is there to take Suzie while the earth faces extinction from the "Multitude." Of course Lois is in the thick of things and gets hit by an out of control fire engine and Superman will have to do the inevitable save Lois Lane next issue.


The back up was a nice little story how Clark came up with his everyman Superman outfit and the t-shirts.

I will give this issue 3.5 out of 5. It has some nice moments for our young and growing Superman but I am not sure about the Johnny Clark thing especially if he is going to suddenly go back to Clark in a few issues. The Lois in peril side-plot is oft trod but I get so tired of it.It's like his job in as much as fighting threats and helping people build.

Best Panel: Superman's almost shy look when he is clearly being adored by men and women.


No comments:

Post a Comment