"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Justice League #11 Review



 Graves continue to manipulate the League's minds and torture them with memories of people they lost. When they gather their wits about them they find out that Graves used the teleporters to go to Tracey Trevor's house. He torments her over what he did to Steve.


Understandably Tracy is pissed and upset over her brother but boy,what a bitch to Diana. We know Diana is only 23. She came out when she was 18 and we know she was very naive. And this woman is hurling some unfair stuff at her in my opinion. Did she ever once ask her brother what he was doing with a young woman who, while wise in many things, would be naive as a teenager when dating? Color me not very sympathetic really to anyone here but Diana. Crush his self worth my foot. I hope this is just Graves' manipulative effect on her.


Diana is guilt ridden and wants to go and cut off Graves' head and bring Steve home. The team tries to stop her from doing it alone and tell her they will help. She does not want to wait and hear them out or she simply is not in a frame of mind to understand. Graves' effect maybe? If not it is weird for her to be behaving like this with men she worked alongside for five years.


Hal makes the mistake of trying to contain her and tell her what to do. She gets pissed and they begin to fight. They damage property and Superman, while trying to stop Diana from acting rashly, gets a kick in the face for his effort. This is what Graves wants. The whole world sees the League acting like brawling hooligans. Batman tries to regain control of the situation and gets Cyborg to boomtube them out of the area to Graves' work cabin.


Aquaman has had enough and steps in and puts Hal and Diana in their place. Diana has the grace to feel ashamed for kicking Superman and tries to apologize to him. He deals with her in a way that mystifies Hal but Barry gets it. The team locates Graves' location and goes to Mount Sumeru, the Valley of Souls. There the League come across once more loved ones who have died. Cyborg sees himself. Diana sees Steve who tells her she is too late.

I give this 3.5. It was entertaining enough but still not feeling a real threat from Graves and waiting for something better from the the members. The fighting after being together for five years is odd. While I don't expect them to be best buddies, this is a very chaotic team. No one is in charge and they all don't seem to care much for each other save one or two of the relationships Geoff made the effort to expand on like Barry/Hal and Clark/Bruce. Diana is still way too much defined as Steve's ex in everything she does. If this is deliberate, I hope we get a team that can show some good development and some moments to make us care for them as a unit.

Best Panel: I suppose we ought to be happy Diana is mule kicking Superman. Eleven issues in and we really not sure how they really view each other. Any shared time is better than none.



No comments:

Post a Comment