"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Aquaman #15



Bought my first Aquaman issue. Mainly due to the Throne of Atlantic storyline. This is part 2 to the part 1 in Justice League #15. When we left Justice League #15, Atlantis had flooded cities in retaliation for a missile strike and many people were now dead. We start this issue in Gotham where Arthur is helping Batman rescue civilians. With the help of Mera, more lives are saved.


In Metropolis Wonder Woman and Superman (with Lois who happened to be around to saved by Vulko) wait for the Atlantean called Vulko to come to his senses.


Vulko inadvertently lashes out at Superman and Diana will have none of that.


Batman and Aquaman have a talk about the current situation. Batman shows a sense of maturity that can only come with experience and it's good to see him as the steadier one on this team. Arthur is torn between two worlds, even if he doesn't want to admit it.


At the Watchtower, the heroes meet up and Arthur greets Vulko who tell him his brother, Orm, is responsible but it was an accident. An act of self preservation.


Arthur wants some time to talk Orm down. Superman and Wonder Woman believes he needs to be brought in to answer for his crime. While I get Arthur's dilemma, Clark and Diana have only just come back from seeing possibly hundreds of innocents drown. I understand their anger and that Arthur is wanting leeway only because it was his brother. Bossy Batman gives him the chance.


Arthur tries to reason with Orm. Orm is not in a mood to comply.


The Trinity appear via boomtube to take steps intervene. From their pov, Arthur seems to be failing.


Cliffhanger!!!

Good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment