"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Wonder Woman #15 Review



Orion makes his appearance on earth. He comes across another sibling of Diana, Milan, who appears to look like a mentally ill, homeless man.


They know each other, so it suggests Orion has visited him before. It's a little odd to see Orion, the son of Darkseid, Dog of War, looking like a twenty three year old, pretty boy, male model. I guess Mother Box is up on earth trends. Orion has come looking for someone and wants Milan's help.


Wonder Woman is in Manhattan in a fancy hotel with her crew. Where does she get the money? It's spent chatting with Lennox about the other brother and going to look for him. She also continues playing referee to Zola and Hera. I don't know why she feels she has to apologize to them for losing her temper either. Both of them behave like brats.


They end up in some old tunnels underground and Hephaestus appears and fiddles with Diana's bracelets. He's expecting something clearly. We find out he made the bracers too and nice to actually see some emotion from Diana regarding her mother. Diana has been very stiff upper lip and not shown much emotion so far regarding her loss. Anyway, Lennox finds Milan. Milan senses trouble is about to brew and tries to chase Lennox away. Hera and Zola back at the hotel seem to bond a tiny bit over that philandering Zeus. After seeing what Hera did in the past, (as with Sirraca and her mother) color me not that sympathetic to her at all.

Orion and Lennox confront each other. Orion demands to know where the last of Zeus' line is. Diana steps in to defend her brother. Orion comes at her while double swords pop from her braces.Milan is not happy.


The last two issues has kind of slowed this story down. Again with meetings and greetings. Another sibling and Orion. Instead of the London flat, we have a hotel in New York for some chatter. Diana getting some new swords. A tease to a fight. Why doesn't she just take off the cuffs? Will she remember she flies and has a lasso as well? Is this new weaponry a permanent thing or just tinkering? Can she pull out any weapon? What will these swords be capable of? Orion does not think much of them.

I give this another 3.5 out of 5.

Best Panel: Cliff does draw a great face for Diana. I am not that enamored of the body he gives her at times. It comes off a bit square and broad shoudered and flat chested. But her features and expressions are always lovely.



No comments:

Post a Comment