"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Superman #19




This issue is good because we get Diana meeting Clark's friends. Clark unfortunately acts like a bit of a douche. Is it because he's mind controlled ie Hector Hammond messing with his mind and using past feelings to confuse him or according to Lobdell ( not any other writer) he could be mooning secretly after Lois?

We get jerkish dialogue like this from him and one has to wonder why Diana would be with someone like this. Oh wait, didn't he pursue Diana in Justice League and made her think it was the right thing to do to give them a chance? What's happened here?



Luckily Lobdell handles Diana better, as he does everyone else. Including Lois and Jonathan as a couple who seem genuinely into each other. It's good he gives Diana some room to shine because otherwise she could have easily come off as the third wheel or dispensable girlfriend  and the obstacle why Clark isn't with Lois. Is Clark actually blaming Diana for the reason he had no balls?

Anyway here are some entertaining pages.





Of course, Clark is too busy with other things to find his date. Most notable is hallucinating Lois dressed as Diana. So, if he wants Lois why is she dressed as Wonder Woman, his girlfriend? Or is he torn between two ladies or transitioning from one to another? Who knows? Lobdell keeps it deliberately vague.




So she finds him. She is the only one not mind controlled or acting out of character. But one might wonder occasionally why she is with him if one just went by this title alone and did not read Justice League. Other than her calling him sexy and interesting etc. I mean when did he show this side of himself to her or us? It's nice to see she isn't fussing about him being late and is very understanding. Refreshing to what we're accustomed to the hero hiding, lying and his date getting miffed.




Of course they get interrupted.

This issue was a mixed bag of entertaining and annoying because Lobdell wants to play both camps. It's as simple as that. As per usual in the Superman book when Clark Kent is around Lois Lane he acts a bit of  a jerk. Diana was sparkling and charming. A pleasure to read.


No comments:

Post a Comment