"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Action Comics # 2 Review



Grant Morrison and Rags Morales continue to wow us with this relaunch of a young, proactive and fun Superman. It really is the journey of a young man learning how to be a hero. One with passion and little restraint. Who feels invulnerable even if he is not as yet. One who has found his calling but who has to bleed for it.


After he is captured by Lex and General Lane, Superman is tortured in different ways and this allows us to discover along with his torturers what they can do or not do to him and some of his abilities. It is tough to see him suffer and it hits me that we never saw Superman so vulnerable and yet even while they try to break him and make him bleed, he heals and laughs in their face and breaks free.


 One of the best moments for me is when he stumbles upon the rocket he was sent to earth in as a baby. The government has it and of course has been trying to get its secrets out of it. It only needs Kal-El to come near it for it to activate and greet him. It's a pivotal moment for this brash farmer's boy from Kansas.


He escapes the facility and Lex is pissed that "it" got away. We see a tease of none other than Brainiac, who it seems is in cahoots with Lex. Does Lex even know what he is getting into? And what does Brainiac have to do with Krypton? Special mention to our favorite scientist John Henry Irons (aka Steel) who quit when he saw Lex and co torturing Superman. We also meet a rather lame introduction to John Corben  (aka Metallo) who gives Lois puppy dog eyes and grew a mustache for her or something like that.

5 out of 5 stars

Best Panel: the cape being riddled with bullets.


No comments:

Post a Comment