"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Justice League # 2 Review


 A fun issue. A very accessible comic to new fans and issue # 2 is better than issue # 1. And what can I say? Superman stole the show. As a fan of Superman, I was sick and fed up of seeing him wussing out for the last decade. Or being beaten down by everyone. I was waiting for the Batgod to take him down and Johns pleasantly surprised me and made me realize that reactive guy is gone. He limped out of continuity with his Lois.


 This is a modern Superman with his old fire from the Golden Age. In Morrison's Action he is brash and tough and being hounded because of who he is, so he felt very in character here. He was just...explosive in the best way possible. And we see signs that Superman can be cunning. Loved it. Loved Lee's art here. Really he nailed the movement and coordinated those panels superbly.






Every character shone. The Flash and Superman panels were a pleasure to behold. Hal and Barry have been established as friends. Barry seems to be the one to get Hal's butt out of trouble. Bruce you can see is studying them quietly. Don't ever underestimate him. We also see the creation of Cyborg.



There is a lot of chemistry among the four men; and for a change an uneasy alliance is refreshing than four complete strangers suddenly trusting each other. Credit to Johns for bringing humor and a more personal dimension to the book. Can't wait to see my favorite Amazon princess next!

4 out of 5 stars

5 out of 5 for art and again anticipation.

Best Panel :  Superman double splash page of course.


No comments:

Post a Comment