"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Wonder Woman # 2 Review




Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang continues to keep Wonder Woman on track with a taut narrative and beautiful art. We meets several more characters and learn a bit more about those we knew from issue one.

We meet Hera and she is not Diana's benign patron of old. She is more like Hera of mythology. Vain, spiteful, beautiful and cruel when she wants to be. Zeus has a roving eye and she will rather take it out on innocents than have the will to leave Zeus. Her daughter, Strife, laps this all up.




Hermes is my favorite already. I love his wry wit. Zola is childlike and adorable in a way the way Chiang draws her. You can't bear her any ill will or judge her...indeed if she loves men like Hermes says, nothing to apologize for.




Hippolyta is blond in this incarnation. The Amazons are not living in pristine marble halls either. They are warriors and their architecture is somewhat rustic and there is a real earthiness to the island. The Queen is a regal and pragmatic figure and someone who has the respect of her people and daughter. But she comes across as somewhat blinkered. She thinks what she is doing is for the benefit of her people. Diana is not taking sides but is protecting an innocent and this is typical Diana. We had Steve then. We have Zola now. And Diana has a little twinkle and smile in her eyes and continues to come across as strong and beautiful and confident and focused.



Hermes mentions Diana's clay birth and that Diana was the "perfect Amazon" to the Amazons...ie no male seed to taint her. That alone spoke volumes because once again one has to consider how isolationist and dated their views had become. Hera was derisive in her description of Themyscira, a cockless coop...but she is right in a way. How can any where be even called paradise when it is locked off and wrapped up itself? The panels of Diana's birth are amazingly beautiful.




We are hit with the big reveal by Strife, who decides to pay the Amazon a visit that Diana has a father. Zeus. It's intriguing stuff. How will Diana react? And Hera is not very happy.

Chiang's work again...art and a palette to die for. Dreamy, surreal...foreboding.

5 out of 5 stars

Best Panel :Diana greeting her mother.


No comments:

Post a Comment