"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Man of Steel to Feature Wonder Woman Cameo?




Wow, so we have another rumor flying around the place but if this one is true I am going to be over the moon!


This report is originating from Comic Book Movie, who claim that Warner Bros. is hoping to reveal plans for their “movie universe” later this month. The report goes on to say that the studio will use Man Of Steel to “drop hints that Superman is in a shared universe with his DC counterparts,” kind of like Marvel did.
It then goes on to mention that one hero they are intent on referencing is Wonder Woman. The studio is hoping that if Man Of Steel takes off, these references can be used as a springboard to launch either solo films for the heroes or the Justice League film.
 CBM claims that these references won’t be that big and they tell us not to expect any character cameos. While that’s all well and good, it seems odd that Warner Bros. wouldn’t use Man of Steel as an opportunity to introduce Wonder Woman with more than just a reference.
In thinking this, I spoke to one of our sources that has close ties to the project and he confirmed to me that CBM is correct in that the studio is trying to find a way to reference Wonder Woman. But, our source also disputes CBM on the fact that there won’t be a cameo.
From what I’m hearing, the studio isn’t opposed to doing a cameo and if the timing works out (ie: if they find a Wonder Woman and announce the casting on time), then they may be able to pull it off. So don’t rule it out just yet.

Read full report here

Well, it makes sense to me to use MOS as the foundation to build a JL movie. And if there is any character WB needs to generate excitement for after Superman and Batman is Wonder Woman. Batman is only coming off a high with the Nolan movies and certainly does not need the referencing. Most everyone know about Batman. But Wonder Woman, though she is DC's most popular female and iconic as Superman and Batman, she has not had any screen time. If the plan if to introduce her in the JL and then spin her off, then starting by referencing her or something about her would be a smart move. A cameo might be too much to ask for but I would say if they do get this off the ground, casting is going to be crucial. They need not only someone who looks like a beautiful, exotic, amazon warrior princess but who can convince the audience she is one.  Presence, grace and charisma is going to be very important. Be nice if she had some real chemistry with Cavill too.

This is going to put a lot of pressure now on the MOS to do well at the box office. But if it performs I think WB might be on their way.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very exciting rumor. Let's hope the rumor is true and that their is plenty of chemistry and tension between our two favorites :-)

    ReplyDelete