"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Superman #10 Review



The world thinks Superman is Spencer Becker after Morgan Edge runs the story scooped by Vic Barnes. The young lady calling herself Anguish is naturally now pissed at Superman because she believes he is a deadbeat dad that left her.


We have the obligatory fight between them and find out a few things about her. She was fostered and abused and her body changes density and she feels nothing. During the fight Superman breaks a locket (which belonged to her mother) she had taken from the bank and that cheeses her off even more.She decides to go after his "family."



Naturally Lois appears on the street to demand if the story is true. For a woman who is running a department she always seems to able to show up where Superman is. Jimmy is there for comic relief it seems as well. Not a very smart Jimmy. So different from the Action Comics one.Anguish goes to Spencer Becker's home and attacks his family but Superman reaches in the nick of time to save them and then we have another fight.



This time it's short lived. Superman mended her locket and apologized and she calmed down. He offers to get her help because he empathizes with someone who can't feel anything. Much like himself, I guess. Anguish takes her locket and vanishes and that was that.  The public realizes Superman and Spencer Becker are not the same but the question of whether he has a dual identity is still up in the air. We end with the Russians we saw from the last issue and yeah, the cargo in the lead lined submarine is bad news.

So this was not that bad an issue. The art was good and the writing was not the worse. Superman's character was actually pretty okay. It's just everything happening around him was run of the mill. It still feels like one of the many Superman stories we have read before. The villain again, came and went and there was no sense of real build up or peril in the story or even a sense of danger in future.

I give this 3 stars out of five. More so for art and Superman coming off okay personality wise.

Best Panel: Yeah, Superman...reporters.




No comments:

Post a Comment