"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Wonder Woman #10 Review



Diana is about to be lynched with her own lasso of truth  to prove her love for Hades. She answers to loving him but when she realizes she wants to bind her without trust, she defies him and escapes the noose.


There are some wonderful sequences with Diana trying to escape Hell's clutches and Diana gives us some great lines that I am sure will be quoted for years to come. I particularly loved seeing that she seems to have come to terms with who and what she is and what she needs to do : ie, a demi-goddess and Amazon who will protect innocents. Hades' daughters attack her but Hephaestus, Lennox, and Eros come to her aid. Even Strife turns up but I think she came to watch and smirk too. Hermes is absent. He is with Zola. Hades challenges Diana's attempt to fight him and she tells him in this battle she cannot lose.


I must admit, I was a little bemused when Diana said she loved everyone. I was thinking how could that be? She grew up isolated from men, from the world, she is new to the world...how can she love what she does not know? Then it occurred to me that she was reared with love and if a person is happy and content with who they are...then they can genuinely view the world from a more benevolent point of view and have innate compassion for all things... and they would not have spite, hate, jealously, or cruelty  driving them. Diana has no reason to hate him. Universal  love for all things I can see driving her but I still would like to have DC show us how and why Diana would be this way. So yeah, some back stories of her youth and time in the world etc might help cement why this young warrior would be so empathetic. She tells Hades no matter who he fired the pistols at...they would not love him because you can't make anyone love you if you don't love yourself. In disgust, Hades tells them all to go. Hephaestus gives Hades a gift before they leave. It is a mirror.  Diana wonders to Hephaestus if he did not plan this all along. While Hades views his gift Diana, from afar, takes aim with the pistols and shoots him in the heart.



That last page I found very touching. I am left to wonder, now that Hell has been shot with love...how could this change him. Would it? I enjoyed seeing how important trust is to Wonder Woman and how naturally compassionate she is. The girl has class. Hippolyta raised her well. I am liking Hephaestus more and more but as with Hermes, who is another favorite...I am still uneasy by the way they always seem to be a step ahead of everyone...Who is going to betray Diana?

The art was good. Atkins and Kano did commendable job.

I give this issue a solid 4 out of 5 stars.

Best Panel : Hell's daughter's attacking Diana.




No comments:

Post a Comment