"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Superman #0 Review



This issue focuses on Kal-El's birth parents. And it was really refreshing to read a Jor-El and Lara who feel like characters and less like a plot point. So often we see mainly Jor-El with the council and then him and Lara putting their son in his baby rocket,sending him off and then Krypton explodes. Here we really see who they are. They feel like individuals as well as a couple in love and a real team.


What is science without a little chaos? He should not only be a genius, he's a bit of a maverick that pisses off the conservative elements on Krypton. So it was great to see him written as such. And to see more of Krypton as well.


Even better was to see this strong kick ass portrayal of Lara. This is a first, I think. She helps her husband in his work, is a trained physician but was trained in the military and unlike Jor-El, she is not averse to bloodshed if it is called for.


Kal-El speaks of how formidable his mother was but even togther, she and Jor-El, could not stop the doom of Krypton. The real surprise in this issue was the fact that the story was not being recounted by their son. But it was being witnessed by him. It was a stunning moment to realize Kal-El was there, looking at his parents.


So Kal-El has time-travelled. And what is he wearing? What is his purpose there? Will he meet them at all? Can he risk that? Will he try to help Krypton? With the genetics Kal-El shares with these two people, he would, in my opinion, never just be normal, be it Krypton or Earth. He'd have done super things

I give this 4 out of 5 stars.


Best Panel : I loved the last page but I also loved Lara. I thought of Diana when I read her and I wondered is this why Clark is drawn to Diana in a way? His mother is fierce and pragmatic and kickass like our Amazon.



No comments:

Post a Comment