"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Wonder Woman # 0 Review



It is Diana's twelfth birthday but like all Amazons, the Princess must present her Queen with a suitable gift so that the day can be acknowledged. Many a young Amazon has been known to fail this task.


 Diana braves a harpy's aerie and takes an egg. She is celebrated for it. Later in the evening there is more celebration and showing off martial skill!


Aleka requests to spar with Diana and after she loses, she sends Diana into a rage by calling her Clay. It takes the Queen to get Diana to stop pounding on her. Diana feels hurt and dismayed at being different from everyone around her.


She gets a new teacher who sees her potential. Brian Azzarello himself. The new version of Ares, War. Athena watches quietly.


War teaches his new protege and they forge a close bond unbeknown to her mother. On her thirteeth birthday Diana must again get her mother a gift and War sees this as a test for her. He sends her out to the labyrinth of the Minotaur.


Diana defeats the minotaur but she cannot deal the striking blow.


War leaves her because she fails him but Diana is left questioning whether she learned mercy from him or her mother. One even wonders if he knew how she would react.

This issue adopted that tone of fun and adventure when comics were written for a more innocent time. The focus is Diana and War's relationship. He is, ironically, the closest thing she ever had to a father figure. The relationship was not explored for long (that is simply the limitation of the medium) to feel any great emotion over their relationship. But one can see War softened up quite a bit due to this child. He could not even kill her. Twice he let her go after she raised her sword to him.

It was refreshing seeing Diana as girl. We see she can be full of mischief, curiosity, be impulsive, rash, kind, disciplined, sensitive...she's very lovable in this. Cliff Chiang's rendering of her is wonderful. Whenever Diana was in tears, I felt her emotions.

I give this 4 out of 5 stars.

Best Panel: The first page. The art of Diana and the intro. Kiss my Azz...haha.




No comments:

Post a Comment