"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Wonder Woman #13 Review



In the Antarctic a naked, hulking, human looking creature appears out of the ice and snacks on the head of one of the welcoming committee that was waiting for it.


Is it a New God, an Old God, a Titan...who knows? It calls itself the First Born. Meanwhile at Apollo's new Olympus, the 'most powerful' children of Zeus gather. We have Dionysus, a drunk and weak looking War, Sun, Moon, the Smith, and his surprisingly devoted Aphrodite. There is no Hermes or Diana. Athena refused to attend.


Meanwhile at Diana's London flat, she entertains company. The now mortal Hera and Zola are fighting every moment they get, keeping Diana and Lennox busy. We also learn that perhaps the Amazons are not entirely lost.


Lennox suggests to Diana in order to find Hermes she needs to get help. And they can from one of their other half siblings, (yeah Zeus was busy in the twenthieth century too...had seven kids) called Sirraca, who hears everything.


Diana goes to Libyia and we have a little girl who shows her "the place". Because it is a little girl Diana lets her guard down with her. I assume she is Sirraca and she's rather peeved.


I give this one 4 out of 5 stars.

Best Panel:Doing good old stuff like flying and deflecting bullets.


No comments:

Post a Comment