"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Action Comics #15 Review



Vyndktvx, little creepy man turned devil, is after Superman. He has been preparing a multiprong attack all through Superman's lifetime and has the ability with the Anti-Superman army to attack him at any given moment in his life. We have some moments like the one where Pa Kent is helping the creepy little man on the night of Clark's prom. An ominous sign that he would possibly be the one responsible for the death  of the Kents.


It's a trippy issue. Going to and fro in time, past, present and future but clearly all happening at once. Mrs Nylx explains to Superman what was happening and her role in all of it. She was once aPrincess of the 5th Dimension and married to an Superman's old foe, Mxyzptlk. She tells Superman the story of how they fell in love and how Vyndktvx be came the enemy. While she tells her story Superman is being attacked on all fronts.


I was never a fan of Mxyzptlk, an interdimensional imp, as a foe but the Vyndktvx set up is showing a way more dangerous and insiduous foe for a Superman. Who Myx is and his courtship of Mrs Nylx really does not do that much for me. The issue thankfully is grounded by interchanging it with real life events to give emotional context to what is happening. The prom scene with Clark and Lana was sweet and sad. First love about to be interrupted by tragedy.


Before Mrs Nylx could try to help Superman she is taken out by Nimrod the Hunter.


The army closes in on Superman. Past. Present. Future.

I give this 4 out of 5 stars. Things are happening and the story has a sense of urgency now as you can feel the inevitable, big final confrontation. Some of the interdimemsional stuff I can't connect with on an emotional level but Superman's life I can and I appreciate the level of threat this foe poses.

Best Panel. The entire page where Clark finds out about his parents is heart wrenching.




No comments:

Post a Comment