"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Superboy #15 Review



Just a quick look at Superboy. I don't read the title but because it is part of the H'El on Earth crossover I picked it up. It follows off Superman #14 when H'El attacked all three supers in downtown Metropolis. He took Kara, and did something to Superboy to shut his system down.

.
Superman takes the dying Superboy away despite the pissed up authorities. He takes him to the Fortress of Solitude in an attempt to try to save his life. Superboy is conscious of what is happening but unable to move or speak.


Meanwhile, H'El has taken Kara to her undersea refuge and convinces her that Superman did indeed betray her. He also seems ready to make some moves on her, judging from that smirk.


Back at the fortress, Superman contacts Cyborg and Dr Veritas who informs him that Superboy's genetic strands are in meltdown and he needs something to help contain them while they knit together. Superman has an idea. He gives the boy the battle armor.


Suffice to say Superboy is not too keen on it. He even pulls the shield off. But Superman tells him he will die and it is his choice to take it or give up.


Superboy takes back the armor. While they try to think how to defeat H'El, he appears and kicks them both out of the Fortress.

I admit I enjoyed this. I liked seeing Superman show an interest in the boy and a desire to save his life and not treat him like an outcast. Superboy is struggling with his place in the world and he has no interest in being a hero or wanting to have much to do with Kal or Kara. But the uneasy peace he comes to is a sign we will see hopefully some development between him and Superman.

1 comment:

  1. The one thing I found disappointing in this book is no naked Superman. You know he was naked when he removed the shield and placed it on Superman. Judging by the next panel with Superman tucking his shirt in his pants, I bet he was naked and we didn't see it! No fair!!

    ReplyDelete