"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Wonder Woman #14 Review



We start with the head eating "First Born" and learn he was entombed for seven thousand years.


We learn about Sirraca's background and how nasty and vindictive Hera was and probably still is.


Now I would say Diana got off real lucky compared to what happened to Sirraca. It was a good thing mom and sisters kept her a secret else imagine her without a nose. Seems Zeus is not all that cruel either, is he?


And Diana, with a few choice words and a little one sided fighting, gets Sirraca to trust her just like that. Eh.


The Gods continue to squabble and we find out the First Born's history. Born to Zeus and Hera, and taken away to be put to death because of perceived threat to Dad. Hera appeared back then to have some maternal feeling. Can't say I feel too sorry for her because she was a meanie afterwards to many other mothers and her own children.The First Born was not killed because the witch who was supposed to do it was moved by pity for Hera.

We then switch to New Genesis and see High Father who is worried about a threat. Orion is going to be sent into the fray.

So this issue was kind of  slow. It was more introductions and nothing much happened but talking. I am interested to know who is leading the expedition and what they want with the First Born. But I am also getting a little weary of reading about more Gods. Whatever Orion is coming for, does it really concern the universe? I sure hope so because so far it is just Olympian politics and him coming in for the sake of another God in the picture is just adding to the clutter of deities. We have many loose hanging threads and no signs of tying anything up and more Gods seem to loom on the horizon judging by upcoming solicits.

I give this 3.5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment