"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Action Comics #7 Review



Young Superman makes a leap into space. I have to say this is one of the most awesome moments in Action. Rags Morales really really did beautiful, energetic work here and the image with his shoes and clothes ripping off as he attains the speed he needs...wow.


He is successful launching into space and gets into Brainiac's ship by allowing it to take him. When a drone tries to "collect" him, he uses his indestructible cape to shield himself and manages to evade capture by other robots. His hearing leads him to a collection chamber.


Here he finds Kandor and Metropolis. The Kryptonian armor he touches has the nanites, I assume, that caused all the confusion in the Superman title five years later. Er, nice touch in here to acknowledge it but that was a boring arc. Was that Morrison's idea or Perez? Bleh, either way.

While Superman looks at the collection, he is being seen by the people of the shrunken city of Metropolis as they watch from their bottle. Lois, Jimmy, Lex, Glenmorgan and the strange little man hide out in a bar in an attempt to escape spider robots. Lex is his usual obnoxious self and admits to Lois about knowing of the plans of the AI, Brainiac. He did not expect Brainiac to back off on the deal though. Brainiac gives Kal-El a choice. To choose between Kandor or Metropolis. The question is asked. Which is stronger? Nature or nurture?


Superman refuses to choose. He dons the armor of his people. He is ready to fight.


We have a nice back-up story with Steel. It more or less shows that people with extra ordinary abilities and powers are not the only ones who can help save a city. Nothing overly spectacular. But human with beautiful art.

I liked this issue a lot. It shows a Superman with guts, brains, heart, courage and pride in his heritage and upbringing.

I give it a 4 out of 5.

Best Panel : Oh, Rags Morales, thank you, for my shirtless Superman. I am kind of sorry he got the armor now. sigh.

1 comment:

  1. Was going to add something witty, but than saw that last panel and, um... forgotten and with no regrets?

    ReplyDelete