"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Superman #8 Review



I thought this was going to be better than the last issue. Turns out it's not. Even with such a really great cover. We have Lucy and Lois discussing Clark. Lucy is not impressed he failed to pick her up and can't say I like her very much. Is she going to be his new love interest? I hope the hell not. But knowing DC, she'd be perfect. LL. That's all you need. She seems a bit old for Jimmy as well.


Helspont gives Clark a vision of the future. He's hunted down by the authorities and people are terrified of him. He offers him once more to join him to avoid that future coming to pass. Of course he talks and talks and talks just to say that.


Superman is not interested and they begin fight. It's not even a great fight. Superman seems to suffer from talking/ thinking too much too and whatever the team started to build the last issue, they lost momentum in this one. The battle with Helspont ends as abruptly as it starts and you are left wondering what was the point of that? Again with the lackluster villains. What is it with this title that it can't have one great issue? Anyway we end with the one enjoyable scene in the whole book. Jimmy and Clark just being friends.

I give this 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Best Panel : Clark and Jimmy. They do have a fun dynamic.



No comments:

Post a Comment