"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Wonder Woman # 8 Review



Diana dons armor and selects weaponry created by Hephaestus in readiness for her descent into hell. She is going to be accompanied by Hermes only, even though the others want to join them. Eros' pistols are given to her by Hephaestus because she would "bring them back".


Hell as it turns out is home.Hermes explains that the underworld is made up of dead souls and they are everywhere. They are, of course, attacked by the undead.


And they work as a very tight unit. Diana shows her skill, bravery and loyalty. Hermes is rather impressive in this issue. Also showing his skill, patience and his wisdom.


They find Zola but unfortunately Hades finds them. Hades has come to see if she has kept her end of the bargain. He wants a Queen. If he cannot get one, he will keep Zola and her child. He spots Eros' pistols at Diana's hip and he decides he will prefer to have them instead. Diana asks if he will keep his word and she breaks hers in a way by giving the pistols away.


Hades fires the pistols at her. Diana lifts her bracelets. She is shot in the heart. Hades announces that there will be a wedding.

Wow, this book continues to deliver twists and turns and the characters are written so economically and yet already seem to have all these layers. Hades is another one, you have to appreciate how he is portrayed. I want to say brat by the way he looks. But he's calculating and clever.

I give this issue 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Best panel: Diana dressed for battle. Beautiful.



3 comments:

  1. One of the best DC ongoings so far, and while some parts are pretty controversial it still is good. But I must say, I'll be very disappointed if the 'omg, Amasons are killers and rapists!'-part doesn't have a decent explanation.

    Chiang is like a Gawd of art, and makes WW issues look incredibly special. The next one is going to be drawn by fill-in artist as far as I know, and I hope that won't make a story look weaker.

    LOOOL, just noticed the pistols blam-effects are heart-shaped! Awesome=D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are they rapists? I don't think they are. Killers. Yes. Death by snu-snu. ;) I am sure Azz has a very good explanation.

    I would still like Diana to call out her sisters though on isolating themselves even if they are not killers etc.

    I agree...Cliff's art is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope for that, too) The point of questions in all that 'breeding-method' ©Amazons, is that it gives us whole lotta new questions:
    Why Diana never knew of that? If it was such a common practice, why hide it? Didn't look like the women were ashamed of their sex-sea-parties.
    Did Amazons killed all the men they used? Did they actually raped those who refused having hunky-punky with them - e.g. gay sailors or (call me old fashioned, but I really believe there were some) devoted husbands/boyfriends?
    And so on, and so forth. Just so much lies=(

    (Sorry for all that in your comments here, that still bugs me a lot. I really need some answers, so the sooner the better, fingers crossed)

    But, ahem, of course I'm also very exited about getting to know if Diana marries her creepy, little-boy-like looking uncle, or not. Yuck, but spooky=)

    ReplyDelete