"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Wonder Woman #6 Review



I know I am really late but I had issue with getting my books. Anyway, I got my copy now. We last left off with Diana battling Poseidon.And our big, fat fish-God is a tad chauvinistic and will not tolerate Hera ruling heaven.  "Without a king, the Queen has nothing." Meaning : the spoils are for him and Hades, the brothers, to share.


Meanwhile, Lennox meets Hades to try to convince him to come to a bargain with Poseidon. Again, the designs for these Gods are so clever and very original. Diana fights Poseidon and tries to convince him it would be worth his while to make that bargain and they would both keep Hera in her place. While they try to come to some agreement, those creepy centaurs created by Hera come for Zola.


Diana dispatches them and saves Zola. Together with Lennox, Hermes, and the two gods, they talk. What Diana is trying to do is play these Gods at their own game and get what she really came for.


While they dialogue, Hera appears because she is not having any one sharing heaven or her. Lennox gets a chance to get Hades to agree to giving him a light. What he does is swipe one of the candles off his head and throws it to Diana, who uses Hermes' staff to go to Hera's house. She uses the candle to destroy the pool that Hera uses to see everything. She has blinded her.


Poseidon is amused and leaves. Hades is miffed and storms off. Diana rubs it in while giving Hera a warning. Will she really spend her days reeking vengeance on Hera? I think our Amazon has much to learn still. Anyway, Diana rejoins her crew on the bank of the Thames and they think they have won this round. But Hades kidnaps Zola and warns Diana. She must fulfill her end of the bargain or he will kill Zola and her child.

Good stuff. The story's pacing is good and keeps us on our toes and it's good to see how these Gods see themselves. Atkins' art is not Chiang's but still adequate.

I give this 4 out of 5 stars.

Best Panel : Yeah, Zola, it's no position for any sane person to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment