"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Superman #7 Review



So Superman changes creative teams. We now have Keith Giffen and Dan Jurgens. Superman battles a high tech robot in the middle of downtown Metropolis. And lord, we get an on going commentary on his every thought. He even tell us it is not sentient. Superman, if you have go to town on an opponent...I know that. Unlike some whiny fans I don't need you to tell me that every time you go into battle.


We get to see how the public see Superman. He's accepted by some and still viewed with suspicion by others. He is also a little reserved and does not enjoy being part of a media circus. I like that. He dispatches the robot and we meet the villain of this arc: an alien called Helspont who is on Earth to recruit the powerful Kryptonian.


At the Daily Planet, Clark is trying to write up a story and he's accosted by Lois and Jimmy who want something from him. Without meaning to, he acquiesces to both their requests. Jimmy has bed bugs and needs a place to stay. Lois needs Clark to pick up her sister, Lucy, who is coming to town. Perry also dumps the Superman gig on Clark. At this same time, Helspont decides to send his high tech robot to bring Superman in.


We get a good idea how the new suit works :Kryptonian Bio-tech. Superman takes on the robot and gets the fight away from the Daily Planet. It's nice to see him not playing up to the cameras for Lois for a change or her stalking his every move. The robot teleports him to the Himalayas where Helspont waits.


Ah, good old Helspont is a typical baddie. How he loves to hear himself talk. And of course he's here to rule. Anyway he wants Superman to join him because he is the most powerful of the meta human population and, of course, our hero says no. And this does not please Mr Helspont. He hits Superman with a blast and knocks him out. Meanwhile, Lucy Lane stands waiting for her ride at the train station.

Okay, this book is still a little too full of exposition but the writing is a significant improvement. Superman is not a whiny sad sack but confident. He thinks quickly and has a sense of humor and still has a toughness to him. I actually enjoy the Clark Kent scenes. It is not perfect by any means but so much better than what I read before. Helspont is not that interesting to me. He comes off a bit cliched. Am I really driven to see what happens next? Not really but I am hopeful it can only get better. The Lucy Lane thing is neither here nor there for me. I still feel only Jimmy is the one who is the most interesting but why do they persist in drawing him like a fourteen year old?

I really think Merino's Superman is far superior to Jurgens. Ivan Reis' on the cover...even better.

I give this 3 out of 5 stars.

Best Panel : Clark actually considering the conflict of interest in writing about himself. This is such an important point and I wonder if after touching on it, DC will just gloss over it now.



No comments:

Post a Comment