"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Action Comics #8 Review



Superman battles John Corben who is fused with the caterpillar collector. Lex Luthor whines that he does not want to be saved by Superman. Corben is driven by his obsession over Lois and his jealousy over Superman. While he fights and whines, Lex bitches and Glenmorgan cries that creepy, little man is the devil.


Superman, of course, takes whatever Corben/Collector throws at him and refuses to choose between Kandor and Metropolis. Corben's humanity reasserts itself long enough to save Superman from being collected. In the bottled city of Metropolis Kal-El's baby rocket ship calls to him. He breaks the bottle and finds the shrunken rocket. The Collector takes back control of Corben and is about to offer Superman "salvation".


Superman is prepared. The rocket ship is indestructible and when it hits the Collector he is destroyed. Metropolis is magnified and reinstated. The city rejoices. Lex is not happy and John Corben is now permanently fused with his super-soldier suit and he is without a heart.


Clark finally leaves the Daily Star for the Daily Planet after being told by Mr Taylor it was okay to move on. And his landlady knows his secret. I love seeing Clark interact with other normal people. People who are not invested in him as Superman to exploit him for a story etc and who just have his interest at heart as Clark.  It gives us an insight into who he is. His landlady is right. He is a good boy.

Metropolis gives him the keys to the city and he, of course,blabs to them about himself. I am hoping Superman does not this time around court the media as their darling as he use to and keep some things about himself to himself. I mean, bad guys I am sure listen to his every word. But I understand the people want a piece of him so he gives it to them in good faith. And Lois has to be the one to point out the obvious or the question that startles him. Does he have a place to be by himself? Sigh. Could we allow Superman to keep/think up some iconic things for himself? I thought that would be obvious to him of all people.

4 out of 5 stars.

Best Panel: His first Fortress of Solitude.



No comments:

Post a Comment