"We are each other's shelter from the storm."
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6

One day I walked into a library and my eyes fell on a book called Kingdom Come. I picked it up and to my surprise it was a comic book...or rather as I later learned, a graphic novel. But I saw beautifully painted panels and heroes that I recognized from my childhood who seemed ...well, grown up. I borrowed that book and I was moved and fascinated by, not only the story of men and women who are great heroes, but by they way they showed their humanity. They suddenly were not two dimensional people who just fought bad guys. They were deeply complex. I love books and reading on the whole and I guess getting into the comic genre as an adult woman was a case of serendipity. It led me to finding DC comics and the heroes I grew up with on TV and saw in movies and newsprint. It led me to finding Clark Kent or as he is known by his other name, Kal-El, and Princess Diana. I fell in love with them and am obsessed with all things Amazonian and Kryptonian now. I love their relationship. I love what they stand for. I love the contrasts of the princess/farmer's son; reporter/ambassador; pragmatic warrior/idealistic protector and empathetic teacher/enforcer of justice. A girl born of the earth and a boy who fell from the sky. The first daughter of Themyscira and last son of Krypton. And it surprised me to find that there were many fans like me, who adore them too.

DC rebooted their universe in 2011 and my favorite pairing is now canon!!! Yay.



Disclaimer : Superman and Wonder Woman are the property of DC comics.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Justice League# 7 Review



Steve Trevor and his team  are in present day (that's five years later to me and you) Maryland fighting an army of monster spores. Of course they are overwhelmed and the people on the ground call for the Justice League to come and save the say. The "real heroes" show up to do just that.


This team does not really act like a team. I don't quite get it. How can five years pass and everyone is behaving as if they just met a week ago? There is Hal making wisecracks and ribbing Batman (and undermining him) and the others standing around saying nothing much or reacting to generic things. There is no clear leader here, by the way.

Anyway, the League manages to save the day and Steve Trevor, as Liasion, is there to clear up their mess, shield them from too much scrutiny and keep the government off their backs. One wonders why he is even doing this? Does he really think them so great? We are treated to the return of Etta Candy. Etta is now a young, professional woman of Afro-American origin and she is there to be Trevor's new aide.


Steve features a lot in this book and, in fact, he is fleshed out more in these pages than the League themselves. They all come across as demanding, bickering children who don't have any consideration for anyone but themselves. Wonder Woman is irritated by them and she is probably the only one who seems to act like an adult. She clearly matured in five years. It's very odd than the men seem to have regressed. Aquaman and Superman are lucky they get a couple of panels because they don't get to utter a word.


We get to find out in the end why Steve is putting up with a desk job and all this liaison rubbish. He is in love with Diana and wants to be near her. Etta suggests to him to tell her how he feels and he confirms he already did. Well, isn't he a selfless soul or just a plain, love-sick sap. Well, she is very hot, Colonel. Am I supposed to feel sorry for you now?

This book as far as a Justice League book goes was disappointing. I expected the Justice League. A team that feels like a real unit. Five years has passed. I was interested to see how the heroes would relate to each other. It was as if time had stood still for them and I am amazed at how chaotic everything feels with them. It's good they are building Steve Trevor but he should not be built up at the expense of the others who are like cardboard cutouts. There is a Wonder Woman book for him. If they are trying to make him into the next Nick Fury...they could have been a little more original than that.

Anyway we get a glimpse of their next villain and he has Steve Trevor in his sights as a way to destroy the League.

The Shazam  back up was okay. I'm not a huge fan of Billy Batson. But guess it's there, so I'll read it.

Gene Ha's art is not as good as the art he did in Action Comics. He's okay with expressions but the art is not clean enough for me.

I give this issue 2.5 stars. I want to read Justice League. Not A Day In The Life Of Steve Trevor.

Best Panel: I really am not that enamored with anything in this issue. Superman says little and it is not worth remembering. But at least he shares a panel with Diana along side him. So, I'll put that up.



No comments:

Post a Comment